Supervisor Role in Employee Motivation
Some findings are given below:
- In instances where these bright young minds worked with a dedicated and supportive manager, they worked for the duration they had originally planned.
- In instances, where these people had to work with a manager who was cynical towards the work that was being done or the general outlook towards life they quit fast.
- In instances, where the leaders of the organization did not practice what they preached, disillusionment was rapid.
- Where leaders shared their vision for the organization and the department as well as putting into perspective the value of the work the employees were currently doing on a regular basis, motivation levels and the desire to continue to work for the organization was high.
- Motivation levels dropped rapidly wherever employees were made to go through the daily grind with targets without the big picture being shown to them on a regular basis. It could be owing to the work becoming dull and monotonous without the benefit of seeing the contribution that they were making.
Source: Designing Human Resource Management Systems: A Leader’s Guide by Jayant Mukherjee